Ginger Trade Competitiveness
Nepal Trade Integration Strategy (NTIS)
The Nepal Trade Integration Strategy (NTIS) 2010 was launched on 24 June 2010 at a time when the trade and economic situation of the country portrays a bleak picture in export performance and balance of payment.
The NTIS 2010 stresses the need to develop Nepal’s trade competitiveness and trade diversification. While the strategy points out on the need for better coordination among different state and non-state agencies, it also points out the challenge that Nepal has not been able to reap the possible benefits of the world trade system.
The strategy clearly suggests 19 priority export potentials for Nepal. Among them, the suggested 7 agro-based products include large cardamom, ginger, honey, lentils, tea, noodles, medicinal and essential oils. Similarly, the suggested 5 industrial products include handmade paper, silver jewelry, iron and steel, pashmina and wool products.
Likewise, the suggested 7 service areas include tourism, labor, health, and education, IT & Business Process Outsourcing, engineering and hydro-electricity. In addition, the strategy identifies top ten market destinations for each of the potential products and service areas.
The implementation of the strategy will demand sizable resources that the Government alone cannot afford. The strategy recommends a collaborative effort by the Government to bring in the private sector, development partners and other stakeholders to achieve the intended common objectives for sustained economic prosperity.
FNCCI/ AEC has been partnering with MoAC (NTIS project) especially for technology transfer for cardamom drying. AEC have been promoting double drum dryer in four districts in year 2010 and 2011. AEC has also distributed 12 Ton of rhizome rot free, fiber less ginger seeds in Dolakha, Udaypur, Saptari, Morang, Jhapa, Sunsari, Dankuta, Bhojpur and Jhapa district in year 2011.
AEC has successfully installed 80 double drum dryers in three districts. 30 in Panchthar, 25 in Sankhuwasava and 25 in Terhathum districts. This year 50 more will be installed in Bhojpur and Taplejung districts.
Important quality factor of cardamom:
Moisture content: Moisture measurement is a critical factor
- affect the physical and chemical properties related to quality
- the potential for safe storage
- The microbial properties active at high m.c.
- Important factor in determining market price.
- Volatile Oil: Volatile oil measurement is a critical factor
- aroma and flavour characteristics are important quality attributed by volatile oil
- even though present in small amount plays important role
- important factor in determining market price
- Color: Color is the factor which determines the outlook of whole product
- acceptability depends on color effected by the drying pattern
- Quality achieved by double drum dryer: a comparison
|S No||Details||Unit||Traditional Dryer||Two Drum Dryer||Rocket Stove Dryer||Desirable Range|
|2||Volatile Oil||% W/V||0.5||1.5||1.0||>1|
|3||Added Colour||ppm||Not detected||Not detected||Not detected||<200|